Knowledgeable | Experienced | Collaborative | Driven
Let’s keep this casual, as this is my website and not my formal resume. I assume anyone motivated enough to want to read my resume after being intrigued enough to seek out and explore my personal website is hoping to find something more than an antiseptic and measured statement.
(click to continue…)
That said, I am a recovering professional endurance sport athlete in pursuit of my “second act”. Truth be told, I miss my former career desperately. A fact made all the more difficult to process in that athletic performance on the highest level has an unwanted expiration date for us all. What’s worse is my career ended not with a flourish but with a fizzle due to a conspiracy of bad luck leading to chronic fatigue syndrome and a half-decade of forced recovery.
During that time I pursued various avenues, some idealistically driven and ultimately Quixotic. Others, the things you’re supposed to do and the life your expected to want. All this lead to a dysfunctional relationship, far too much money invested into ingenuine promises, and a crisis of confidence.
I realize this all sounds rather negative, something one should not be eager to convey when in search of employment. However, I want to be very clear in the path that has lead me to who and where I am now.
2020 and its various challenges forced many of us to have to examine exactly who we are and what we want. Or at least that was my experience. I moved to Bellingham, WA from my college town of Boulder, CO in late 2019 in search of a new beginning and distance from the dysfunctional relationship and ghosts of the much happier time that was my athletic career. I love the Pacific Northwest and every time I raced here over the past 25 years always I told myself I would move out here one day. Little did I know, as soon as I did the world would drastically change and I would find myself very alone, in a new city, and imposed limitations.
I moved to Bellingham working a couple of freelance jobs and expecting to pursue a career in real estate. When the pandemic hit I figured that was my perfect opportunity to put in my mandatory pre-test hours and take the real estate licensing test, which I completed in August. However, I quickly came to understand the current real estate industry in on the precipice of massive upheaval and, frankly the opportunities for a new agent over the next decade are limited.
Thus, I began analyzing where opportunity does lie and where are my strengths and skill set most effective. This lead me to what should have been a quite obvious epiphany, project management. I’ve spent my entire life, certainly my professional career (including my time as an athlete) being a project manager. I have the mentality and am motivated and eager to be involved in all aspects of a project, be it laying out my path to a World Championship, organizing a professional team to better represent sponsors, single handedly building a house on a tight timeline and limited budget, or preparing the product launch of a scientifically complicated product created by a multi-national tech startup at one of the larges sporting events in the world. These things motivate and intrigue me.
Once I came to this realization and saw the growth projections for project management I knew this was my calling. Hell, its what I’ve always been doing, I just needed the impetus of something like the 2020 crisis to force me to see it.
That is probably more than most will want to read, but I am happy to expand on any and all of it. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. And, of course, more information can be found below.
My background of experience is broad. I’ve worked directly with the IOC, Global and National governing bodies. I managed product launches at the biggest events in the world. I’ve positioned brands for multi-million dollar acquisitions. I’ve built award winning home renovations with recognized architects. And I’ve coached Olympians and National Champions.
Some say expertise comes from specialization. I would argue expertise is born of experience and nurtured by a wide breadth of understanding.
Successful project management depends on effective strategic planning, attention to detail, and effective use of technology and data to limit risk and maximize opportunity.
This is true no matter if its within elite sport, building to exacting design specifications, or managing a multi-national product launch in coordination with numerous brands on a global stage.
Project Management Experience
Large Event Management
- LEOMO Tour de France Product Launch in partnership with SRM and several Pro-Tour teams.
- Management and coordination of SUFcamp Boulder in partnership with Wahoo Fitness, Sufferfest Training app, and APEX Coaching.
- LEOMO brand launch at Velo Sports Center
- Colorado Classic Recon Ride in coordination with SRM, Trek-Segafredo, LEOMO, and USA Cycling.
- Tradeshow management for various brands at Outdoor Retailer, Interbike, Eurobike, CES, Great American Beerfest, The SEMA Show, and the NoCo Hemp Expo.
New Media Management
- PRO Triathlon Training online learning course development and production
- First live streaming coverage of Ironman World Championship. For Inside Triathlon 2006
- Owner/Publisher of DirtTRI.com and subsequent acquisition.
- Social media campaign management for HRD Architecture Denver.
- Digital media campaign management for Downtown Denver Partnership Leadership Program.
- Client Development and Interaction management for Front Range Biosciences.
- Full home renovations in Denver, Boulder, and Westminster, Colorado.
- Remote location Yurt construction management near Durango, Winter Park, and Steamboat, Colorado.
- Single room/floor renovations in Denver CO, Bellingham WA, and Los Alamos NM.
- Trail Building/Land Access in coordination with Los Alamos County NM, Boulder County CO, Jefferson County CO.
Pro Athlete/Team Management
- 15 year professional triathlon career managing various sponsorship and R & D partnerships.
- Owner of Without Limits Racing professional triathlon team.
- Global social media manager and content creator for Specialized Bicycles.
- Partnerships and Online Sales development and campaign management for Boulder Nordic Sport.
- International Olympic Committee and World Triathlon board member for Winter Triathlon’s inclusion in the Winter Olympics.
- USA Triathlon Elite Athlete Advisory Committee
- Colorado Mountain Biking Association development committee
- City of Denver planning and development committee.
- Recreation Northwest project volunteer
- People For Bikes DRAFT Meetups
Awards and Certifications
- Google Project Management Professional Certification
- Colorado Small Business Development Center Best New Business Winter 2015
- Colorado General Contractor License
- National Association of Realtors GREEN Designation
- LEED Green Associate
- BS Exercise Physiology